In 2008 Talbot started delivery of electric regional railcar Talent 2 (numbered as BR 442). The manufacturer offers the railcars in different length up to a maximum tractive power of 4040 kW of a six-car unit. In any composite configuration each of the 325 railcars is able to reach a maximum speed of 160 km/h.
It was developed in the 1970s by GEC-Alsthom and SNCF. Originally designed as turbotrains to be powered by gas turbines, the prototypes evolved into electric trains with the 1973 oil crisis. Following the inaugural service between Paris and Lyon in 1981 on the LGV Sud-Est ("LGV") (French: Ligne à Grande Vitesse, high-speed line), the network, centred on Paris, has expanded to connect main cities across France and in adjacent countries on combinations of high-speed and conventional lines.
A TGV more…
During 21 years Swiss State Railway SBB ordered 276 samples of four axle electric loco Re 4/4 II. The four motor units develop 4700 kW and reach a maximum speed of 140 or 125 km/h depending on gearing. During the 1990 the locos were renumber for Re 420 and Re 421.
For traction of passenger and freight trains under 1,5 kV DC system French State Railway SNCF ordered 237 samples of four axle electric loco BB 7200. The locos develop 4040 kW and reach a maximum speed of 160 km/h. BB 7261 – 7263 are able to reach 200 km/h.
In 1971 German State Railway DB decided to improve acceleration of its diesel railcar units 601 by replacing diesel prime movers with Avco Lycoming TF 35 gas turbines. The four head end motor cars now deliver 1620 kW each and enable the 11-car train to reach a maximum speed of 160 km/h. You can select between 3 airhorns by setting CV48 to a value of either 0,1 or 2
With diesel-electric Blue Tiger DE-AC 33C German ADtranz entered the market of heavy freight diesel locos in 1996. After delivery of 30 samples for Pakistan and 20 for Malaysia another 10 were ship to some private railroads in Germany. The prime mover GE 7FDL 12 EFI delivers 2460 kW at 1050 rpm and produces the energy for the six traction motors GE GEB 15. The loco reaches a maximum speed of 120 km/h.
In 1956 State Railway of Portugal CP ordered 15 samples of four-axle electric loco Série 2500. The four motors speeded the loco up to 120 km/h.
In the 1960s the German State Railway (DB) replaced old fashioned steam locos in heavy shunting service. The total new dieselhydraulic V90 is driven by a 12 cyl engine MTU MB 12 V 652 TA that delivers 1100 HP at 1400 rpm. The locos have a maximum speed of 80 km/h. In the 1980s DB installed shunting couplers and a radio control in the now called BR 290 and renumbered them in BR 294. Many of the very dependable locos are still in service.
In 1913 the Rhetian Railway (RhB) of Switzerland needed eight electric locos for their first AC line between Samedan and Scuol. The assembly had been done by SLM in Winterthur. The four driven axles are connected by side rods. Wheel arrangement is 2-8-2. With a tractive power of 1280 HP the loco reached a maximum speed of 34 mph. The last of the very successful locos had been taken out of service in 1984. In Swiss depot in Samedan 353 is still operated for fan trips
In 1913 Swiss narrow gauge Rhaetian railway RhB ordered seven samples of small electric loco Ge 2/4. The locos are equipped with side rods and deliver 228 kW. For additional tractive effort, RhB increased power up to 450 kW at two locos. So the maximum speed increased from 45 to 55 km/h.