In the 1950s Deutsche Reichsbahn DR of GDR needed a high-speed locomotive to test new passenger cars. The testing department of DR developed the 18 201 out of tank loco 61 002, a new boiler (out of “Reko” re-design programme) and the cylinders of a test loco. The loco develops 1590 HP and reaches a maximum speed of 176 km/h. 18 201 is the fastest operable steam locomotive in the world.
In 1939 German Deutsche Reichsbahn-Gesellschaft DRG received 1st of more than 3100 samples of 2-10-0 two-cylinder steam loco BR 50. The loco developed 1625 HP and reached a maximum speed of 80 km/h. With its axle load of just 15,2 tons the locos were used even on branch lines with light weight rails. Locos of DB quitted service in 1977, the DR locos were used for ten more years.
Electric loco 111 of Deutsche Bundesbahn DB was purchased for fast passenger service on main lines. The four traction motors develop 3620 kW and enable the loco to reach 160 km/h. For consist use with heavy Intercity trains some locos received new pantographs. Some years ago all of the locos were given to DB Regio for push-pull operation.
The Kö history started in 1933. After short time the manufacturers agreed a standardization of design. The diesel mechanical locos developed around 30 – 39 HP and reached around 23 km/h. Both German State Railways used few Kö locos till the 1970s. Nowadays many locos are used at Railway Museums.
The classes (BR) 215 and 218 diesel locomotives of the Western German Railway (DB) are used in mixed service since 1968. 218 101 to 194, 218 242 to 288 were equipped with a 12 cylinder 4 stroke main Diesel from MAN that was later called MTU 12 V 956 TB10 that generates 2500 HP. The 2800 HP version of this motor is called MTU 12 V 956 TB11. In the late 1980s the exhaust system of BR 218 with the 12 V motor had been optimized. Since 1995 many of the 218 are equipped with motors called "MTU 12 V more…
1946 french state railway SNCF ordered 100 samples of diesel electric shunting locomotive 040 DA (later A1A A1A 62000) at Baldwin locomotive works. With its maximum speed of 96 km/h the locos also succeeded in freight service on main lines. Railway men nicknamed the class Yayas. The 6 cylinder 606 NA prime mover developed 660 HP at 625 rpm.
In 1968 Deutsche Reichsbahn of GDR (DR) received first samples of side rod diesel hydraulic shunting loco V23. The diesel motor ER 6 VD 18/15-1 SRW of Motorenwerk Johannisthal delivered 220 HP and enabled the loco to reach a maximum speed of 37 km/h. In 1968 the locos were renumbered for 101, after foundation of DB AG the locos were classified as 311.
Siemens/Krauss-Maffei developed a four-system electric loco on their Eurosprinter platform. Between 2003 and 2005 more than 150 samples left Munich factory. The four-axle loco develops 6400 kW and reaches a maximum speed of 140 km/h. German State Railway DB ordered 100 samples, MRCE another 45. Equipment for 1,5 kV and 3 kV DC enables the locos to operate in nearly any European country. Because of their moderate maximum speed the locos are used in heavy freight service mainly, but some can be more…
In 1938 German „Wehrmacht“ received first samples of three-axle shunting locos for service in military facilities. The units were powered by six-cylinder diesel MWM RHS235S or KHD V6M436. The side rod equipped locos reached a maximum speed of 55 km/h at 700 rpm. For traction of heavy trains all locos were equipped with a double-unit-control. For those consists two units were coupled back-to-back and the throttles were connected by shaft. After WW II both German state railways overtook several more…
In 1938 German „Wehrmacht“ received first samples of three-axle shunting locos for service in military facilities. Most units were powered by six-cylinder diesel MWM RHS235S. The side rod equipped locos reached a maximum speed of 55 km/h at 700 rpm. After WW II both German state railways overtook several units, some were sold at private owners.