The two new models that Brawa is launching are beautiful, fast and enduring. The S 9 Länderbahn in green and the DRG’s BR 14 in black are genuinely beautiful steam locomotives. Brawa’s models are just as appealing as the originals, and they incorporate a whole host of precision details such as accurately replicated paintwork and true-to-epoch lighting. The boiler, chassis, gangplank, tender box and spoked wheels are also precision made in die-cast zinc, and the locomotives have doors that open and close.
Locomotives with a 4-4-0 or 2B wheel arrangement (i.e. with a two-axle bogie and two driving axles) dominated the European express train and passenger train scene for around 20 years. The Prussian State Railway alone purchased 3472 locomotives with this wheel arrangement; the last ones as late as 1913.
At the turn of the 20th century, trains started getting heavier and heavier, and many of the 2B locomotives were reaching their performance limits. Another carrying axle had to be added so that the locomotives could be -fitted with more efficient boilers. This gave birth to the 4-4-2 or 2B1 wheel arrangement, which was also called the “Atlantic” type. The Atlantic Coast Line in the USA first used this locomotive type, which is where it got its name from. Locomotive experts know that the Atlantics were the most -elegant and aesthetic steam locomotives ever built. They were also a great deal more powerful and ran a lot more quietly than their predecessors. Atlantic locomotives could travel at speeds of up to 200 km/h.
The K.P.E.V. (Königlich Preußische Eisenbahn Verwaltungen) was the first railway company to purchase S7 Atlantics starting in 1902 in two types – the Hanoverian type and the Graffenstaden type, each named after its -supplier. The locomotives ran extremely quietly and they were much more powerful than the 2B predecessors. Soon, however, they weren’t able to meet the increasingly demanding requirements and the Hanoverian S 7 was upgraded into a kind of “Super Atlantic”, creating the S 9. Designed and built at Hanomag in Hanover, 99 S 9s were delivered from 1908 onwards.
The S 9’s excellent running properties and its powerful boiler made it perfect for the flat terrain of northern Germany. Its maximum permissible speed was 110 km/h, though the large tender made long-distance journeys of over 250 km possible. It was also visually appealing and is considered to be one of the most beautiful Prussian locomotives of all time. It is strange, however, that these locomotives did not incorporate the efficient superheated steam process which was already in use at the time. This was corrected in 1914 when the process of retrofitting the locomotives with superheated steam capability began. Unfortunately, though, it was interrupted by the outbreak of the first world war and only two locomotives were retrofitted. The retrofitted models did, however, perform better. After the war, 17 locomotives had to be transferred to Belgium and four to French railway companies. The Deutsche Reichsbahn only took over three of the remaining. Hide description more…
Steam locomotive class Hh of the Royal Württembergian State Railroad, Type 0-10-0
The main load of freight traffic of the Königlich Württembergische Staats-Eisenbahnen (K.W.St.E.) was carried by the three-coupled class F and Fc freight locomotives. There were only a few five-coupled class G Klose locomotives which were used particularly for steep inclinations.
The increase in freight traffic meant that freight trains had to be coupled more frequently to two locomotives. This however was very uneconomical and the K.W.St.E. wanted to produce a freight locomotive which could take twice as much traction power as a class Fc locomotive. The result was the class H five-coupled freight locomotive. In 1905 and 1909 a total of 8 of these saturated steam interlocking locomotives were put into service. These locomotives were 75% more powerful than the Fc class ones. In 1909, class H was updated to a superheated steam locomotive of class Hh. The boiler was redesigned and a twin engine was used instead of the compound engine. The new design proved to be worthwhile, in comparison to the saturated steam locomotives the performance levels could now be increased by 7%, whilst at the same time reducing the fuel and water consumption.
From 1909 to 1920, 28 saturated steam locomotives were put into service, all of which were manufactured at the machine factory in Esslingen. These locomotives were desperately required by the traction haulage service in order to pull the extremely heavy freight trains. The first machines arrived in the machine disctrict in Stuttgart, then later in Ulm. In both regions they were primarily used on the main Bretten–Stuttgart–Ulm route. Hide description more…
The 1930s were a decade of major global innovations in the field of railway technology. New electric and diesel-powered locomotives revolutionised the world on rails. Steam locomotives were also improved and attracted a great deal of attention by breaking world records in Germany and Britain, attaining speeds of 200 km/h. How-ever, experts were well aware that the traditional steam engine had reached the end of the road, at least as far as further increases in speed were concerned. Possible solutions were offered by a number of innovations such as single-axle drive systems powered by small steam engines. The Kassel-based traditional locomotive manufacturer, Henschel, built a prototype locomotive for the Deutsche Reichsbahn in order to further investigate this technology.
The novel single-engine technology was the only aspect of locomotive 19 1001 that reflected the state of the art in the field of steam technology at that time. Sensibly, the temptation to try out as many new elements as possible had been resisted, with the result that engineers could rely on tried and tested technology in order to concentrate on the development of the steam engines. The boiler was of the same type as the Series 44 goods locomotives, while the flow shell and tender were based on those of series 01.10. The running gear and force transmission incorporated components that had proven to be effective in electric locomotives.
Maximum performance of 1,685 hp at 80 km/h and maximum speeds of 180 km/h were achieved in trial runs with no difficulties whatsoever. In times of peace, this concept would have been developed even further.
Although the locomotive was delivered in the middle
of the war when the Deutsche Reichsbahn had other problems than engine research, it worked surprisingly smoothly and was put into service in 1943, operating from Hamburg-Altona to Berlin and Osnabrück. In 1944 it was seriously damaged in an air raid. On American instructions, it was repaired and sent to the USA in October 1945 as an example of modern German technology. Following a number of displays and test runs in the USA, it was finally scrapped in 1952. Even though it had proved its effectiveness, the technology used in the 19 1001 was no longer in demand at the time of the reconstruction of the German railway system. Conditions in post-war Germany demanded the use of simple traditional technology which produced fast results. It was soon decided to phase out steam locomotives and focus on developing electric and diesel machines. This marked the end of a promising attempt to achieve higher speeds with steam locomotives in routine operation. Hide description more…
standard locomotive type 06; 4-8-4; 3 cylinders
According to old sources, the Deutsche Reichsbahn traditionally painted its streamlined locomotives in an elegant dark red during the mid-nine-teen thirties. The BR 06 was allegedly also painted in this colour. This is supported by several illustrations.
If you download the designated file, you agree to be legally bound by the license given above.