Showing items 1 - 10 of 74

BR89 /pr.T3 N XL L M4

Under the series designation T3, the Royal Prussian State Railroad KPEV combined a whole series of triple-coupled, slightly different freight locomotives. From 1882 about 1550 copies were made, some of which were also delivered to private railways that were later nationalized. The 290 PS strong and 40 km/h fast two-cylinder wet steam locomotives were popular due to their undemanding nature and managed the entire operation on many branch lines. After the maximum speed was no longer sufficient more…

BR 58 / pr. G12 N XL L M4

With the five-way coupled G12, the Prussian KPEV developed the first largely standardized steam locomotive series. The 1540 hp and 65 km/h three-cylinder locomotives were delivered from 1917. Because of its good operating characteristics, the Baden (98 units), Saxon (42) and Württemberg state railways (43) also procured the G12. After the Second World War, the majority of the machines, now designated as BR 58.2-21, remained in what was later to become the GDR. The fact that the locomotives had more…

ELNA N XL L M4

To standardize steam locomotives, the Engere Locomotive Standards Committee (ELNA) was founded in 1917. In addition to the framework conditions for the Einheitslokomotiven of the Deutsche Reichsbahn-Gesellschaft DRG, the ELNA also laid down principles for steam locomotives of non-state-owned railways. Three types were developed, of which the 1’C and D versions were by far the most common. Many parts could be exchanged for one another. Since frames, water boxes and driver's cabs were not more…

SBB Eb3/5 N XL L M4

Between 1911 and 1916, the Swiss Federal Railways (SBB) purchased 34 exemplars of the Eb 3/5 tank locomotive for suburban passenger train service. The three-coupler, which is 75 km/h in both directions of travel due to the symmetrical wheel base, developed 730 kW and performed reliably until the official end of steam operation at the SBB in 1965. After the progressive electrification of most of the suburban lines, the locomotives, known as "Habersack" because of the attached tender, were used more…

BR03.10 DRG/DB/DR Einh. Loks N XL L M4

In order to have greater speed reserves when pulling express trains in the 1930s, the Deutsche Reichsbahn-Gesellschaft DRG had the 03.10 developed with streamlined cladding. The acoustics of the 03.10 differ significantly from the two-cylinder standard locomotives of the class 03 with their three-cylinder engine. 45 copies of the 140 km/h fast racer survived World War II. Some of the locomotives were given new replacement boilers, the ones that had not been converted were eliminated until 1957.

BR03.10 DR Rekolok N XL L M4

In 1959 German DR equipped 16 samples of three-cylinder steam loco 03.10 with new boilers similar to classes 22 and 41. The so-called Reko-03.10 developed 2350 HP and reached a maximum speed of 140 km/h. After receiving oil firing equipment the performance improved again, so the Reko 03.10 stayed in service till 1980. British railfans nick-named museum loco 03 1010 the “roaring monster”.

BR 50 N XL L M4

In 1939 German Deutsche Reichsbahn-Gesellschaft DRG received 1st of more than 3100 samples of 2-10-0 two-cylinder steam loco BR 50. The loco developed 1625 HP and reached a maximum speed of 80 km/h. With its axle load of just 15,2 tons the locos were used even on branch lines with light weight rails. Locos of DB quitted service in 1977, the DR locos were used for ten more years.

BR 41 Kohle N XL L M4

In the early 1950s German Deutsche Bundesbahn DB decided to replace worn out boilers of Class 41 steam locomotives with new ones. The 40 locos with coal firing developed 1940 HP and reached a maximum speed of 90 km/h. The 41s werde used for fast freight and heavy passenger service.

BR 41 Öl N XL L M4

In the early 1950s German Deutsche Bundesbahn DB decided to replace worn out boilers of Class 41 steam locomotives with new ones. The 40 locos with oil firing developed 1975 HP and reached a maximum speed of 90 km/h. The 41s werde used for fast freight and heavy passenger service.

BR 81 N XL L M4

German Deutsche Reichsbahn-Gesellschaft DRG ordered 10 samples of four axle steam locomotive for shunting service in 1928. The two cylinder locos BR 81 developed 860 HP and reached a maximum speed of 45 km/h. In 1963 final loco quitted service at DB.