Between 1911 and 1923 French Railway Company Prais-Orleans PO received 190 samples of two cylinder tank engine 141 TA. The locos reached a maximum speed of 70 km/h and had been used in commuter service around Paris as well as on branch lines in Massif Central area. In 1970 the last 141 TA had been withdrawn.
For increase of traction power and to gain coal efficiency few locomotive manufacturers had developed steam turbine locomotives in the 1920s till 1940s. In 1926 German Lokomotivfabrik J.A. Maffei for example built the 4-6-2 steamturbine locomotive T18 002 with Ljungstoem drive train. The loco delivered 2000 HP and reached a maximum speed of 120 km/h. Deutsche Reichsbahn-Gesellschaft DRG used the loco for fast passenger trains till it had been damaged during WW II. Even the most successful steam more…
The six samples of 2-4-2 locos of BR 71 were ordered by Deutsche Reichsbahn-Gesellschaft DRG in 1934 to replace railcars in light passenger service. The locos developed 570 HP and reached a maximum speed of 90 km/h. DB scrapped its remaining units in 1956.
In the early 1900s narrow gauge railway RhB of Switzerland needed stronger locos. Swiss locomotive manufacturer SLM Winterthur built 29 samples of 2-4-0 locos G 4/5. The locos deliver 800 HP and reach a maximum speed of 45 km/h. After electrification of the whole rail net RhB sold or scrapped the locos except for two samples that rest in Switzerland for snow clearance duty or for railfan trains.
The bavarian P 3/5 H had been developed 1921 for medium passenger service but also succeeded in fast train service. Maffei built 80 samples for the Gruppenverwaltung Bayern of the DRG. The 4 cyl loco reached a maximum speed of 90 km/h and could be seen also in front of the famous Orient Express on its way through Bavaria. Last samples of this success loco had been scrapped in 1955.
Two cylinder locos BR 62 had been developed by the Deutsche Reichsbahn-Gesellschaft (DRG) in the 1920s. With it’s good acceleration and a maximum speed of 100 km/h the tender locos had been used successfully in light fast train service in rolling country. The locos had been used in passenger service after WWII at DB and DR.
All 45 98.10 locomotives were recovered after 1945 by the Deutsche Bundesbahn, and continued to be used exclusively in their native Bavaria. Though the locomotives were initially indispensable, they were put out to pasture after the advent of the "Roter Brummer" rail bus, especially those used in passenger train service. Many of the locomotives were still used after this time, in freight service especially. DB did not make any more major changes or improvements; in the late more…