In the early days of the Deutsche Bundesbahn DB, the 03.10, which had been freed from the streamlining, were heavily used in express train service, which revealed the boiler's weaknesses. In order to remedy these deficiencies, the DB equipped a total of 25 units with new replacement boilers from 1957, which had proven themselves in the 41 series. With an output of 1870 hp and a top speed of 140 km/h, the locomotives from Hagen mainly pulled express trains. Since the locomotives were very more…
In 1959 German DR equipped 16 samples of three-cylinder steam loco 03.10 with new boilers similar to classes 22 and 41. The so-called Reko-03.10 developed 2350 HP and reached a maximum speed of 140 km/h. After receiving oil firing equipment the performance improved again, so the Reko 03.10 stayed in service till 1980. British railfans nick-named museum loco 03 1010 the “roaring monster”.
In order to have greater speed reserves when pulling express trains in the 1930s, the Deutsche Reichsbahn-Gesellschaft DRG had the 03.10 developed with streamlined cladding. The acoustics of the 03.10 differ significantly from the two-cylinder standard locomotives of the class 03 with their three-cylinder engine. 45 copies of the 140 km/h fast racer survived World War II. Some of the locomotives were given new replacement boilers, the ones that had not been converted were eliminated until 1957.
In 1935 German manufacturer Borsig had delivered 4-6-4 steam locos 05 001 and 002 for Deutsche Reichsbahn Gesellschaft DRG for fast passenger service. 05 003 had been delivered in 1937 with cab forward design. After WW II DB rebuilt the locos without streamline body and used them till 1958.
The bavarian P 3/5 H had been developed 1921 for medium passenger service but also succeeded in fast train service. Maffei built 80 samples for the Gruppenverwaltung Bayern of the DRG. The 4 cyl loco reached a maximum speed of 90 km/h and could be seen also in front of the famous Orient Express on its way through Bavaria. Last samples of this success loco had been scrapped in 1955.
The new locomotive program of the Deutsche Reichsbahn DR after WW II contained a tank locomotive with a drive wheel diameter of 1,600 mm and a top speed of 90 km/h. The 88 1'D2 'tank locomotives designed for commuter train service had an axle load of 18 t. The well-dimensioned boiler and the carefully developed engine provided practical pulling power and good acceleration. Since the DR converted various branch lines to an axle load of 20 t, various 65.10 were equipped with a compressed air bell more…
The six samples of 2-4-2 locos of BR 71 were ordered by Deutsche Reichsbahn-Gesellschaft DRG in 1934 to replace railcars in light passenger service. The locos developed 570 HP and reached a maximum speed of 90 km/h. DB scrapped its remaining units in 1956.