In 1968 Deutsche Reichsbahn of GDR (DR) received first samples of side rod diesel hydraulic shunting loco V23. The diesel motor ER 6 VD 18/15-1 SRW of Motorenwerk Johannisthal delivered 220 HP and enabled the loco to reach a maximum speed of 37 km/h. In 1968 the locos were renumbered for 101, after foundation of DB AG the locos were classified as 311.
Even during the series production of the V160, the German Federal Railroad DB was considering heating trains on non-electrified lines electrically instead of with steam, as was previously the case. In order not to have to divert power for the operation of the generator from the main diesel engine MTU MB 16 V 652 TB (1900 HP) taken over from the V160, it was decided to use the 12-cylinder engine MAN/MTU D 3650 HM 3 U with an output of 500 HP as a heating diesel engine, which had proven itself more…
The V180 (Era IV BR 118, since 1990 BR 228) had been the first two motor diesel locomotive of the railway of GDR for medium main line service. The two turbo charged traction motors delivered 900 HP each and enabled the loco to reach a maximum speed of 120 km/h at 1500 RPM. For the use on branch lines the producer VEB Lokomotivbau “Karl Marx” developed a six axle version that shared the technical equipment with her four axle sister.
In early 1950s young German Federal Railway (DB) introduced four axle two motor dieselhydraulic V200. The loco is powered by two 12 cylinder 1100 HP diesel made by Daimler-Benz, MAN or mostly a MD650 made by Maybach. For use in passenger service all locos received steam heating equipment by Hagenuk. With its maximum speed of 140 km/h the locos were used for multi purpose. After around 30 years DB discharged the locos. 13 locos went to Italian users, seven were sold to swiss SBB for traction of more…
diesel locomotive V200.1 der german railways DB. driven on two MTU MB 12 V 652 TA motors / info: 3 airhorns selectable via CV48
Expresstrain locomotive, dieselhydraulic, C'C',
2 x V12-cylinders engine, also known as Krauss-Maffei ML 2200 C'C', JZ D 66 / JZ 761 Krauss-Maffei ML 3000 C'C' and DB V 300 001 / DB 230 001
In 1938 German „Wehrmacht“ received first samples of three-axle shunting locos for service in military facilities. The units were powered by six-cylinder diesel MWM RHS235S or KHD V6M436. The side rod equipped locos reached a maximum speed of 55 km/h at 700 rpm. For traction of heavy trains all locos were equipped with a double-unit-control. For those consists two units were coupled back-to-back and the throttles were connected by shaft. After WW II both German state railways overtook several more…
In 1938 German „Wehrmacht“ received first samples of three-axle shunting locos for service in military facilities. Most units were powered by six-cylinder diesel MWM RHS235S. The side rod equipped locos reached a maximum speed of 55 km/h at 700 rpm. After WW II both German state railways overtook several units, some were sold at private owners.
The side rod equipped dieselhydraulic V60 (1968 BR 104 – 106, since 1992 BR 344 – 347) had been developed by VEB Lokomotivbau „Karl Marx“ for GDR state railway DR . The traction motors delivered 650 HP at 1500 rpm and enabled the loco to reach a maximum speed of 60 km/h. The non-turbocharged engine 12 KVD 21 SVW is quite similar to the motor of V180/V100.