BR 245 is the brand new diesel electric multi-motor loco of German State Railway DB. Based on the electric locos BR 145-185 new 245 shares around 75 % of the parts with them. The four Caterpillar CAT C18 diesel motors develop 563 kW each. The loco is able to reach a maximum speed of 160 km/h. Only sometimes the traction motors need the energy of all of the four motors, so the electronic system decides by itself to start or to switch off motors during operation.
For new electric locomotive class 187 Bombardier used its experience with American ALP-45DP locos. The 187 develops 5600 kW reaches a speed of 140 km/h. In 2013 German State Railway DB ordered 110 locos for freight service (BR 187.1) and another 20 samples of the version for passenger trains (BR 147) that reaches a maximum speed of 160 km/h. ===> (swiss radio communication and station announcements selectable via CV 48 = 1) <===
For new electric locomotive class 187 Bombardier used its experience with American ALP-45DP locos. The 187 develops 5600 kW in all electric mode and reaches a maximum speed of 140 km/h. A 180 kW diesel motor enables the loco to pull a train upon non-electrified tracks with 50 km/h. The first three samples of class 187 were bought by Railpool leasing company. Those locos were leased to Swiss BLS railway. ===> (swiss radio communication selectable via CV 48 = 1) <===
In 1970 the German DB built eight four axle diesel locomotives class 210 for heavy passenger service. The locos base on famous dieselhydraulic V160 series and reach a maximum speed of 160 km/h. The 210 had a MTU MA 12 V 956 TB 10 traction diesel motor and a separately shifted Avco Lycoming licensed gas turbine T 53-L 13. After two heavy defectives DB decided in 1978 to dismount the gas turbines. Till 2006 the locos were used as standard 218 and with the numbers 218 901-908.
In 1965 German DB ordered the first diesel hydraulic locomotive with additional gas turbine power. The V169 001 delivered 3200 HP and reached a maximum speed of 130 km/h. The gas turbine worked automatically when the engineer activated the booster notch while the diesel motor works in (highest) notch 15. In 1974 after around 9 years in heavy passenger service the now called 219 001 had a defective gas turbine so DB dismounted this booster and used the loco for 3 additional years.
In the early 1900s narrow gauge railway RhB of Switzerland needed stronger locos. Swiss locomotive manufacturer SLM Winterthur built 29 samples of 2-4-0 locos G 4/5. The locos deliver 800 HP and reach a maximum speed of 45 km/h. After electrification of the whole rail net RhB sold or scrapped the locos except for two samples that rest in Switzerland for snow clearance duty or for railfan trains.
In the late 1950s the narrow gauge Rhetian Railway (RhB) of Switzerland recommended stronger locos for haevy freight and passenger service. After a pre-series of two six axle locos (#701 and #702) the RhB ordered a series of five more locos (#703 - #707) that show differences in front design. Technical equipment of the locos is the same. The end trucks are interchangeable with those of four axle Ge 4/4 I. The locos develop 2398 HP and reach a maximum speed of 80 km/h. Even after around 50 years more…
The Ge 6/6 I of the Rhetian Railways (RhB) of Switzerland are nick named rhetian crocodiles. 1922 the first of 15 locos entered service. The side rod equipped Ge 6/6 had been the strongest narrow gauge loco of its time and delivered 1024 HP. With its maximum speed of 55 km/h the locos were even used for famous Glacier Express. Today two locos are kept for traction of museum trains.
The former Deutsche Reichsbahn-Gesellschaft (DRG) ordered 50 hydraulic foru axle diesel railcars numbered as VT 137 241-270 and VT 137 442-461. The MAN diesel motors delivered 360 HP at 870 rpm and reached a maximum speed of 100 km/h. After WWII 16 railcars went to DB, seven were owned by DR.
The BR 119 (since 1990 BR 219) had been developed by Rumanian manufacturer „Lokomotivfabrik 23. August“ Bukarest as two motor diesel locomotive for the GDR state railway DR . The two traction motors delivered 1350 HP at 1500 rpm each and enabled the loco to reach a maximum speed of 120 km/h. For the use also on branch lines the six axle loco has a load per axle of 16 tons only. As the motors had been unreliable, the DR interchanged them with turbo charged 12 KVD motors of V180/BR 118 in the more…