In 1965 German Deutsche Bundesbahn developed a six axle electric loco for fast passenger service. The unique design made the E03 (later 103) for the most famous German electric loco. All sample of the three designs reached a maximum speed of 200 km/h. Although they were developed only for light trains the 103 succeeded in heavy intercity service for more than 30 years.
In 1928 German Deutsche Reichsbahn-Gesellschaft (DRG) received 38 samples of electric 2-8-2 loco E17. The eight motor locos reached a maximum speed of 120 km/h and were used by DB untill 1980. DR scrapped the final two locos in 1968.
Electric loco E18 had been the most important electric loco for passenger service of former Deutsche Reichsbahn-Gesellschaft (DRG). Between 1935 and 1940 53 samples of E18 had been built. The locos reached a maximum speed of 150 km/h and stayed in service till 1985 (DB) and 1992 (DR).
In 1924 German Deutsche Reichsbahn-Gesellschaft DRG received the first sample of side rod equipped electric loco E32. The 29 locos developed 1170 kW and reached a maximum speed of 75 km/h. In the 1930s eight locos were re-geared for a maximum speed of 90 km/h. In 1971 the last remaining locos quitted service at the DB.
In 1932 German Deutsche Reichsbahn-Gesellschaft DRG received 1st of 174 samples of four-axle electric loco E44. The four motors delivered 2200 kW and enabled the E44 to reach a maximum speed of 90 km/h. The reliable locos rested in service at DB until 1985, last DR locos quitted service in 1991. For electric service on Bavarian mountain line Freilassing – Berchtesgaden DRG ordered eight samples of electric E44.5. The four-axle four-motor loco developed 2000 kW and reached a maximum speed of 90 more…
In 1957 German State Railway (DB) introduced it’s most powerful member of the so called “Einheits” electro locomotive family. The massive six axle six motor locomotives delivered 4500 kW and reached a maximum speed of 100 km/h. In 2003 last remaining 150 quitted service, but two locos are preserved in DB Museum.