The Prussian P8 locos probably is the best known German steam loco ever. At nearly any German territory P8 (later BR 38.10-40) locos had been used often for more than 50 years. The dependable two cylinder locos delivered 1180 HP and reached a maximum speed of 100 km/h. After WW II 1200 locos stayed at DB, another 700 at DR. P8 also had been used in Belgium, France, Greece, Italy, Austria, Poland, Rumania, Czechoslovakia and Turkeye. more…
The Rhetian Railway (RhB) of Switzerland ordered 23 four axle electric locos Ge 4/4 for the meter gauge Stammnetz at SLM in 1973. The 1700 kW locos reach a maximum speed of 90 km/h and are used for passenger and freight service.
In 1935 German manufacturer Borsig had delivered 4-6-4 steam locos 05 001 and 002 for Deutsche Reichsbahn Gesellschaft DRG for fast passenger service. 05 003 had been delivered in 1937 with cab forward design. After WW II DB rebuilt the locos without streamline body and used them till 1958.
In 1913 Swiss narrow gauge railway Brig-Furka-Disentis-Bahn BFD ordered 13 samples of HG ¾ for cog railway. The locos deliver 440 kW and reach a maximum speed of 45 km/h in adhesion service and 20 km/h when operating in cog track.
BR 120 had been the first DB loco with 3-phase motors. In 1980 five pre-series locos had been in test service. After many successful test runs e.g. in Austria, Switzerland and Sweden DB ordered another 60 locos in slightly improved design.
For replacement of old fashioned steam shunters Swiss State Railway SBB ordered 46 samples of diesel electric four axled Bm 4/4. The 12 cylinder diesel develops 620 kW and enables the loco to reach a maximum speed of 75 km/h.
For service under 3 kV DC and 25 kV AC catenary Belgian State Railway SNCB and CFL of Luxembourg ordered multi-purpose electric loco at Alstom in 1998. The locos develop 5000 kW and reach a maximum speed of 200 km/h. The 60 Belgian locos are classified as HLE 13, the CFL numbered them Class 3000.