In the early 1900s narrow gauge railway RhB of Switzerland needed stronger locos. Swiss locomotive manufacturer SLM Winterthur built 29 samples of 2-4-0 locos G 4/5. The locos deliver 800 HP and reach a maximum speed of 45 km/h. After electrification of the whole rail net RhB sold or scrapped the locos except for two samples that rest in Switzerland for snow clearance duty or for railfan trains.
Steam locomotive 4-cylinders, steam rotary snow plough of the rhaetian railways. served in the winter to clear the tracks of snow.
The German Deutsche Reichsbahn-Gesellschaft DRG ordered six samples of electric driven tower cars for maintainance of catenary between 1929 and 1933. The vehicles delivered 105 kW and reached a maximum speed of 65 km/h if driven full electric under wire. During work at catenary the traction motor was powered by batteries.
All 45 98.10 locomotives were recovered after 1945 by the Deutsche Bundesbahn, and continued to be used exclusively in their native Bavaria. Though the locomotives were initially indispensable, they were put out to pasture after the advent of the "Roter Brummer" rail bus, especially those used in passenger train service. Many of the locomotives were still used after this time, in freight service especially. DB did not make any more major changes or improvements; in the late more…
In 1946 Swiss narrow gauge Rhaetian Railway RhB received three samples of electric shunting locos Te 2/2. The locos developed 230 kW and reached a maximum speed of 30 km/h. After at least 60 years in service, the locos were scrap between 2006 and 2008.
The Prussian P8 locos probably is the best known German steam loco ever. At nearly any German territory P8 (later BR 38.10-40) locos had been used often for more than 50 years. The dependable two cylinder locos delivered 1180 HP and reached a maximum speed of 100 km/h. After WW II 1200 locos stayed at DB, another 700 at DR. P8 also had been used in Belgium, France, Greece, Italy, Austria, Poland, Rumania, Czechoslovakia and Turkeye. more…
In 1935 German manufacturer Borsig had delivered 4-6-4 steam locos 05 001 and 002 for Deutsche Reichsbahn Gesellschaft DRG for fast passenger service. 05 003 had been delivered in 1937 with cab forward design. After WW II DB rebuilt the locos without streamline body and used them till 1958.
In 1913 Swiss narrow gauge railway Brig-Furka-Disentis-Bahn BFD ordered 13 samples of HG ¾ for cog railway. The locos deliver 440 kW and reach a maximum speed of 45 km/h in adhesion service and 20 km/h when operating in cog track.
Prussian T16.1 had been one of the most important steam locomotives for short freight and heavy switching duty. The two cylinder loco delivered 1070 HP and reached a maximum speed of 60 km/h.