Showing items 11 - 20 of 73

BR 03 DRG N XL L M4

The Deutsche Reichsbahn-Gesellschaft had the class 03 developed to supplement the heavy express train locomotive 01, which was designed for operation on well-developed main lines. Between 1930 and 1937, 298 examples of the 1980 hp two-cylinder locomotive with a top speed of 130 km/h were built. In front of light and medium-heavy passenger trains, the three-couplers impressed with their good driving characteristics, but in many DB departments in the 1950s the travel times of the express trains more…

BR 52.80 DR N XL L M4

In the late 1950s German Deutsche Reichsbahn DR decided to modernize war-design freight locomotive BR 52. Around 200 samples received new boilers. The locos developed 1600 hp and reached a maximum speed of 80 km/h. With its axle load of only 16,3 tons the locos were used for freight and passenger trains even on branch lines.

BR 52 N XL L M4

In 1939 German Deutsche Reichsbahn-Gesellschaft DRG received 1st of more than 3100 samples of 2-10-0 two-cylinder steam loco BR 50. The loco developed 1625 HP and reached a maximum speed of 80 km/h. With its axle load of just 15,2 tons the locos were used even on branch lines with light weight rails. Locos of DB quitted service in 1977, the DR locos were used for ten more years.

BR 23 N XL L M4

In 1949 the Deutsche Bundesbahn had ordered 105 locos of Class 23 steam locomotives to replace old-fashioned Prussian P8 locos. The 2 cylinder locos developed 1785 HP and reached a maximum speed of 110 km/h. They were used for passenger service, sometimes also for fast trains. Last 23 quitted service in 1975, but eight locos can be found at railroad museums in Germany and the Nederlands.

BR65.10 N XL L M4

The new locomotive program of the Deutsche Reichsbahn DR after WW II contained a tank locomotive with a drive wheel diameter of 1,600 mm and a top speed of 90 km/h. The 88 1'D2 'tank locomotives designed for commuter train service had an axle load of 18 t. The well-dimensioned boiler and the carefully developed engine provided practical pulling power and good acceleration. Since the DR converted various branch lines to an axle load of 20 t, various 65.10 were equipped with a compressed air bell more…

BR89 /pr.T3 N XL L M4

Under the series designation T3, the Royal Prussian State Railroad KPEV combined a whole series of triple-coupled, slightly different freight locomotives. From 1882 about 1550 copies were made, some of which were also delivered to private railways that were later nationalized. The 290 PS strong and 40 km/h fast two-cylinder wet steam locomotives were popular due to their undemanding nature and managed the entire operation on many branch lines. After the maximum speed was no longer sufficient more…

BR 58 / pr. G12 N XL L M4

With the five-way coupled G12, the Prussian KPEV developed the first largely standardized steam locomotive series. The 1540 hp and 65 km/h three-cylinder locomotives were delivered from 1917. Because of its good operating characteristics, the Baden (98 units), Saxon (42) and Württemberg state railways (43) also procured the G12. After the Second World War, the majority of the machines, now designated as BR 58.2-21, remained in what was later to become the GDR. The fact that the locomotives had more…

ELNA N XL L M4

To standardize steam locomotives, the Engere Locomotive Standards Committee (ELNA) was founded in 1917. In addition to the framework conditions for the Einheitslokomotiven of the Deutsche Reichsbahn-Gesellschaft DRG, the ELNA also laid down principles for steam locomotives of non-state-owned railways. Three types were developed, of which the 1’C and D versions were by far the most common. Many parts could be exchanged for one another. Since frames, water boxes and driver's cabs were not more…

SBB Eb3/5 N XL L M4

Between 1911 and 1916, the Swiss Federal Railways (SBB) purchased 34 exemplars of the Eb 3/5 tank locomotive for suburban passenger train service. The three-coupler, which is 75 km/h in both directions of travel due to the symmetrical wheel base, developed 730 kW and performed reliably until the official end of steam operation at the SBB in 1965. After the progressive electrification of most of the suburban lines, the locomotives, known as "Habersack" because of the attached tender, were used more…

BR03.10 DRG/DB/DR Einh. Loks N XL L M4

In order to have greater speed reserves when pulling express trains in the 1930s, the Deutsche Reichsbahn-Gesellschaft DRG had the 03.10 developed with streamlined cladding. The acoustics of the 03.10 differ significantly from the two-cylinder standard locomotives of the class 03 with their three-cylinder engine. 45 copies of the 140 km/h fast racer survived World War II. Some of the locomotives were given new replacement boilers, the ones that had not been converted were eliminated until 1957.