Showing items 1 - 10 of 185

EMD Dual 12-567BC 2EXH NT N XL L M4

The 567 prime mover is a line of medium-speed diesel engines manufactured by GM Electro-Motive Division. They were used in many EMD locomotives from 1938-1966 when it was replaced by the EMD 645. The 567 proved to be exceptionally successful in passenger, switching, freight, marine and stationary services.

E-units standardized the two engine configuration for passenger locomotives to maximize power and, while the less-reliable Winton Diesel motors were in use, face a less severe loss of power more…

#7470 CN GTW 0-6-0 N XL L M4

Canadian National No. 7470 is a O-18a class 0-6-0 "Switcher" type steam locomotive that currently works on the Conway Scenic Railroad in North Conway, New Hampshire.

7470 was built by the Grand Trunk Railway Point St. Charles Shops at Montreal, Quebec in June 1921. The Grand Trunk classified the switcher as F9 Class and numbered it as Grand Trunk Railway No. 1795. It soon became and renumbered as Canadian National No. 7470 when the Canadian National Railway absorbed the Grand Trunk in 1923, more…

#90 SCR BLW 2-10-0 N XL L M4

Strasburg Rail Road (Great Western) No. 90 is a 2-10-0 "Decapod" type steam locomotive owned and operated by the Strasburg Rail Road outside of Strasburg, Pennsylvania. Built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1924, No. 90 originally pulled sugar beet trains for the Great Western Railway of Colorado. In 1967, No. 90 was sold to the Strasburg Rail Road where it now resides and operates today for use on excursion trains. As of today, No. 90 is one of only two operational Decapod type steam more…

GE 12-GEVO LATE EXH N XL L M4

GE Evolution 12cyl "GEVO" Locomotives have a 4 stoke diesel engine and have been designed to be more efficient and more emission friendly than previous models. Evolution Series locomotives are equipped with either AC or DC traction motors, depending on the customer's preference, though admittedly there is little sound difference if any between the two.

All early GEVOs were delivered with the Nathan Airchime K5HL air horn. Later GEVOs started to recieve a slightly different K5HLL horn. Most if more…

#491 D&RGW BLW 2-8-2 K-37 N XL L M4

The Denver and Rio Grande Western K-37 is a class of 2-8-2 "Mikado" type narrow-gauge steam locomotives built by the D&RGW Burnham Shops. They were made by converting 10 standard gauge C-41 Consolidation locomotives onto new narrow gauge frames.

The locomotives are of outside-frame design, with the driving wheels placed between the two chassis frames which support the boiler, but with the cylinders, driving rods, counterweights and valve gear on the outside. This general arrangement is shared more…

ALCO 12-251C3 Ed2 N XL L M4

The ALCO 251 prime mover was the most popular and abundant prime mover ever made by the company. While it proved to be quite successful, it sadly outlived its original manufacturer, ALCO who closed their doors in 1969. The 251 prime mover is actually still available to purchase today from Fairbanks Morse for use in Marine, Generator, and locomotive uses.

The 2000 horsepower 12cyl version of the 251C could be found in the following locomotives:

M420W, M420B, M420R, M420TR, HR-412, M424, RS-32, more…

#734 WM BLW 2-8-0 N XL L M4

Western Maryland Scenic Railroad No. 734, also known as Mountain Thunder, is an SC-1 class 2-8-0 “Consolidation” type steam locomotive originally built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1916 for the Lake Superior and Ishpeming Railroad (LS&I) as No. 18. It was renumbered to 34 in 1925. No. 34 was used to pull heavy iron ore trains for the LS&I, until it was retired in 1961. The locomotive was subsequently sold to the Marquette and Huron Mountain Railroad, where it was stored in a sideline more…

N&W Class Y6B 2-8-8-2 N XL L M4

The Norfolk and Western Class Y6b was a class of 2-8-8-2 Mallets built between 1948-1952 with a total of 30 examples built for the Norfolk and Western Railway.

The Y6b was known as the workhorse of the Norfolk and Western Railway and the epitome of the compound mallet development design.

They were an improvement of the previous Y6a class with the only difference between the Y6as and the Y6bs was that the Y6bs were longer than the Y6as, had a larger firebox and had a greater tractive effort. more…

#765 NKP Berkshire 2-8-4 N XL L M4

Nickel Plate Road 765 is a class "S-2" 2-8-4 "Berkshire" type steam locomotive built for the New York, Chicago & St. Louis Railroad, commonly referred to as the "Nickel Plate Road". In 1963, No. 765, renumbered as 767, was donated to the city of Fort Wayne, Indiana, where it sat on display at the Lawton Park, while the real No. 767 was scrapped in Chicago in 1964.

In the early 1970s, the newly formed Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society (FWRHS) restored No. 765 and operate it in main line more…

#165 WP ALCO 0-6-0 N XL L M4

Western Pacific 165 is an 0-6-0 switching locomotive built by the Schenectady Works of the American Locomotive Company. This engine was used at many of the WP's rail yards, including Stockton, Sacramento and Portola. It was built in November, 1919, for the United Verde Copper Company of Jerome, Arizona, as their number 87. On September 17, 1927, the 165 and three sister UVCC engines were sold to the WP and become the road's S-34 class, numbered 163-166.

These burly switchers supplemented WP's more…